Saturday, September 27, 2014

Break Unbreak!

Some decisions are just random. Like the one I took almost two years ago. I decided to take a break from work and explore the options for myself. The break lasted seven months, and as it turned out, it was just a break for me from work. Time and life both moved on, and neither stopped to teach me lessons. 
Meanwhile, I started spending time reading books, I learned to swim (completed a certificate course in swimming). I also used to sketch sometimes. One of the things on my mind was to set up a business. I always felt that owning a business will give me necessary flexibility to manage my life and time. So I started working with an acquaintance who was running his own business. I came up with some great business ideas, researched on these ideas, and tried to build more understanding on what it takes to start a business.I worked on the business ideas for around 2 months, during the break. At that point, I realized that I should go back to work for a few more years, and keep trying for business simultaneously. 
It was then that I started to look for jobs. After reaching out to many companies, and placement agencies, I finally got interview calls from two firms and that too, within a span of two days, while I was at home. Both the jobs were based again in Mumbai. It felt like, no matter how hard I tried to get away from Mumbai, life was trying to keep me stay put in the crazy city.  So I came back to the city, gave both the interviews, and surprisingly got through them both. 
One of the profiles dealt with wind energy, and it clearly asked me to travel in the remote areas of the country. The other profile, on the contrary, was related to market research and strategy consulting. After elaborate discussions with family, ex-colleagues and friends, and I decided to take up the market research job as it appeared a logical continuation of the work I had been doing. To my surprise, and rather a pleasant one, I was asked to travel overseas, the very first day I joined the company. 
Its almost two years, that I took a break from my job and one and a half years I joined the new job. I have travelled to lots of places including South Africa, Kenya, Cameroon, UAE and China. I might travel a lot many in future. In addition, the work I am doing has got me more closer to understanding the business environment. Looking back, it does feel like the random decision did work out for me! I have to say, it was an interesting turn in my life. Hoping for some more, going ahead! 

No comments: